Tuesday, June 06, 2006

First Week, First Impressions

First Impressions of the First Years
Hope springs eternal at the beginning of your teaching career. I discovered this lesson last summer, and now I have the privilege of watching this hope fill the hearts and minds of this year’s teaching rookies.
My initial impressions have been favorable. I’ve met most of the first years, and as a whole they seem friendly, likable, and service-oriented. These are three qualities good teachers need. Of course, there are 1,001 other qualities a good teacher needs, and we will soon see which of these qualities the first years possess. I still haven’t decided if you can teach someone to become a good teacher, but I believe if there is any program that can do it, it would be Teacher Corps.

Living Arrangements
I’ve moved in to a house with seven other second-years. Aaron Thompson and I share a room, while Lily, Jess, and Meredith share another, and Ruth, Adryon, and Tiffany share a third. It’s a crowded house, but so far the living arrangements have worked out swimmingly. On the downer side: we need a pool. Oxford summers are soooooo hot, and this year has been on the mild side.
A couple days after complaining about a pool, Lily introduced me to Sardis Lake. The water there was warm, perhaps a little too warm, but the beach was clean and nice. Meredith, Lily and I spent our Sunday there playing Frisbee and lounging around. It was definitely a good place to spend an afternoon.

Summer School
Today was the first day of summer school. Overall, it was a rousing success. The students were well-behaved, and lessons went very smoothly. I feel good that Joe Sweeney observed me, and I got that out of the way early. I look forward to Thursday when I get to see the first years in action. All four: Landon, Chris E., Amy, and Jon are teaching that day. I can’t wait to see their teaching personas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home