Sunday, November 27, 2005

Back from the North

It's good to be home. That's what I felt when my plane finally landed in the Greenville airport, two hours later than its scheduled arrival time. Though it would be an exaggeration to say I missed work (after all, I was home with my friends and family), I was not dreading a return to the Delta as my girlfriend was last Thanksgiving during her first year with Teach For America. I know now that she wasn't alone: many first year teachers dread coming back to the Delta after a respite back home. I, for one, choose to see the silver lining.

Quick aside: The Delta may not have Starbucks and Barnes and Nobles, but what it lacks in high societal charm, it more than makes up for in good ol' relaxed country living. The weather getting off the plane was gorgeous, a balmy November evening, and I will take 60 degrees over 25 degrees any day of the week.

I have been told that as difficult as it is to return home after Thanksgiving break, it is much harder to return after Christmas. That is probably true, since the next vacation is 2.5 months away. But coming back with a positive attitude can make your life a whole lot better. Optimists live longer for a reason, and they are a whole lot more fun to be around. Our profession, our Corps, has a lot going for it right now, and we as individuals should be happy to be a part of something so positive. You don't become a teacher for the vacations, but there are a lot of them, and if you make it through the first semester, you can make it through the first year. And after that.....that's just gravy, baby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home