Saturday, December 03, 2005

First Semester is Almost in the Books

The first semester of teaching is almost at a close. It has gone quickly, but when I think back to the first week of school, way back in August, it seems as though the semester began many years ago.

I have enjoyed my first semester, and feel I have been successful in many regards. I give my kids a lot of me: my humor, my support, and much of my free time. As Dave Odom said in class today, we always seem to choose what our kids need instead of what we need. But despite making this choice routine, I still feel refreshed and upbeat more often than not. That tells me that the second half of the year is going to be even better.

I have learned a lot about my students personal lives by reading their essays and watching them present their oral history projects. We have read two interesting books, The Road to Memphis and Once Upon a Time When We Were Colored, and my students enjoyed these. I have picked up on many of my students' academic inadequacies, and feel like many students have made strides in improving. In fact, in a couple of my classes, 100% of my students are passing, and I have not lowered the bar at all from first semester, when a couple students failed in every single class.

I did not coach a sport in the fall, but I did work with the academic decathalon team, and spent six days after-school working with students preparing for the ACTs. I had time left over to run a couple times a week, write for about an hour a night, and watch a couple movies each week. My personal life is in a great place right now, my professional life is wonderful, and Christmas break is coming up soon. Next semester will be busier, as the dreaded state test approaches and I may be coaching track and field as well. But I just need to remember to control the things I can control and let the chips fall where they may. This semester was great, and next semester, though busier, will be even more rewarding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home