Monday, December 11, 2006

Thoughts on motivating the unmotivated

Most of my students are not motivated to learn. In fact, the vast majority care about school only so far as they want a passing grade on the final day of class. I was shocked last year to find how many students regarded a 70 with the same level of acceptance as a 90. My students are not thinking about college, or the pursuit of knowledge as its own reward: they just want to get enough passing grades so they can exit high school. In order to motivate students, teachers must first change this culture of ignorance and apathy.

I have had several students with GPA's in the 1-2 range tell me with a straight face that they plan on becoming a doctor. Many of our students have not had close contact with people who have graduated from college: in fact, fewer than 3% of Hollandale residents hold a graduate degree. As a result of not knowing any better, our students think they can accumulate C's and D's and become doctors after high school. They are in dire need of a reality check, and teachers are in an excellent position to provide one.

In the beginning of each school term, I preach the importance of good grades to my students. I explain to them that in order to go to college, they must earn good grades and test scores in high school. In order to graduate from college, they must work hard and earn good grades there too. In order to become a doctor, or lawyer, or dentist, or other special position, they need to go to graduate school for several more years. When I tell them this, I show a chart that depicts the average income of Americans based on their level of education. The chart illustrates that the more education a person has, the more money they will earn on average. Money is a motivating factor for some of them, but more important than this is the knowledge that what they do in high school determines in part the success they will experience during the rest of their life.

Understanding the importance of grades is the first step to motivating students to try hard in class. The next step is explaining how they can improve their grades. Teachers can breed accountability by demanding students turn their work in on time and making them understand that late work lowers their grade. I teach my students that missing work is like an anchor that lowers their grade. I also grade my students on participation, which motivates them to pay attention, ask questions, and monitor their own behavior.

Praising students is another great motivational technique. People are more easily led than driven, and if someone knows hard work will earn praise and other rewards (like participation points), they will be motivated to do their work. I will make positive phone calls home to my students who do well grade-wise or behavior wise, which is a simple method that doesn't take long but means a great deal to my students.

The best motivation comes from within. It is difficult motivating students to do things they may not initially like (studying, listening to the teacher), but once they understand the importance of these things, the motivation begins to emerge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home